DepEd Order 30 s. 2019 THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (DEPED) MANUAL OF STYLE
To: Undersecretaries Assistant Secretaries
Bureau and Service Directors
Minister, Basic, Higher, and Technical Education, BARMM Regional Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary School Heads
Chiefs of Divisions
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd) has developed the DepEd Manual of Style (DMOS), 2018 Edition. This Manual prescribes the latest language style, format, and usage based on The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition and integrates DepEd House Style, which includes common usage within the Department.
- DepEd aims to inculcate a culture of excellence in its delivery of quality, accessible, relevant and liberating education for the Filipino learners. To achieve this, all the officials and personnel from the central down to the regional, schools’ division, and school levels are encouraged to actively take part in promoting the use of DMOS. This will not only establish DepEd credibility, but also institute and convey a unified DepEd identity to its partners and stakeholders, and the public.
- The Manual, containing set of rules of standards, shall serve as reference for DepEd personnel involved in styling and formatting DepEd issuances and other official documents/V– to ensure clarity; completeness of information; conciseness; and consistency in spelling, grammar, punctuation, hyphenation, capitalization, typeface, and abbreviation, among other rules. It aims to guide them develop official documents for communication and publication of the Department’s strategic priorities. It shall assist them in facilitating the processes, mechanisms, and procedures in formulating easy-to-understand official issuances; and strengthen the communication channels of field offices to facilitate the flow of information and expand linkages with other government units for effective governance
- The Manual is provided in Enclosure No. 1, and Enclosure No. 2 contains the Guidelines on the Use of DMOS.
- DepEd, through the Publications Division of the Public Affairs Service, shall conduct the National Orientation and Workshop on the Use of the Department of Education Manual of Style for personnel designated as Regional Information Officers (RIOs), Division Information Officers (DIOs), and other personnel involved in the preparation of official documents in their workplaces.
- The monitoring and evaluation activities shall be encouraged in all DepEd offices from the central, regional and schools’ division, schools district offices. PAS-PD shall update the DMOS 2018 Edition based on the results of continuous monitoring and evaluation. As grammar rules evolve, DMOS shall also be revised for continuous improvement within five years of its use, or as needed.
- All DepEd Orders and related issuances, rules and regulations, which are inconsistent with the enclosed guidelines, are repealed, rescinded, or modified accordingly.
- The adoption and use of the DMOS shall take effect upon its approval.
- For more information, please contact the Public Affairs Service-Publications Division, Ground Floor, Aguinaldo Building, Department of Education Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at telephone no. (02) 8633-9341.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
(Source: DepEd Order 30 s. 2019 (DepEd Manual of Style), click here)
DepEd Order 30 s. 2019 (DepEd Manual of Style)DO_s2019_030-2-3-120
Download DepEd Manual of Style, click here.