DepEd Memo 62 s 2022 | 2022 BRIGADA ESKWELA IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES
Minister, Basic, Higher, and Technical Education, BARMM
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary School Heads
AII Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd), through the External Partnerships Service (EPS), shall implement the Brigada Eskwela (BE) program in time for the preparation for the opening of classes for the School Year (SY) 2022-2023 on August 22, 2022 pursuant to DepEd Order (Do) No. 034, s. 2022 titled School calendar and Activities for the School Year 2022-2023. The different components of Brigada ESkwela Program shall be implemented starting August 1 to 26, 2022 for its Brigada
Eskwela sa Paghahanda and shall continue with the year-round implementation of Brigada Eskwela Plus and Brigada Pagbasa.
- The BE Program shall focus on the following:
- a. Implementation of the schools’ maintenance and repair activities, which includes the provision of the immediate needs of schools including the needs during disasters or calamities, and assessing of
resource gaps for the reopening of face-to-face classes. These activities shall continue as a year-round initiative under the Brigada Eskwela Plus consistent with relevant provisions under DO 100, s. 2009 (Launching Brigada Eskwela Plus and Directing Selected Public Schools to Volunteer in thisCommunity Involvement in Education Initiative);
- b. Strengthened partnership engagements w.ith partners and stakeholders that complement DepEd efforts to ensure quality basic education;
- c. Achievement of significant goals which shall contribute to increase students’ participation rate, reduce drop-outs and help improve learning for both learners and community under the Brigada Eskwela Plus; and
- d. Creation of a network of community-based organizations to get total community commitment for collaborative programs and projects including the Brigada Pagbaso (BP), a partnership initiative in response to Homon: Bawat Bata Bumabasa, issued under DepEd Memorandum (DM) No. 173, s. 2O19, and other partnership programs and projects consistent with DO 40, s. 2015 titled Guidelines on K to 12 Partnerships.
- The theme, Brigada Eskwela: Tugon sa Hamon ng Ligtas na Balik-Aral will highlight the country’s collective efforts from various partnership engagements in the local and national level to address learning gaps and social issues. These engagements shall create a safe learning environment for the learners, teaching and non-teaching personnel, and community for the achievement of quality basic education.
- The National Kick-off Program shall be held on August 1, 2022, to be hosted by DepEd Region IV-A CALABARZON and shall be streamed live via DepEd Philippine’s official Facebook Page. Regional offices (ROs) and school division offices (SDOs) may hold their own hybrid kick-off ceremonies after the national kick-off program starting August 3, 2022, to August 6, 2022, to launch the BE in their respective areas.
- It is essential that schools are ready for its learners and teachers once classes begin on August 22, 2022. The use of face masks and/or face shields shall be required at all times, alongside handwashing and other hygienic practices. Proper advocacy and information dissemination will be undertaken to equip schools with information on how to manage certain situations involving Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and other infectious diseases. Thus, the implementation of 2022 BE shall proceed as scheduled, in accordance with these guidelines, unless otherwise declared by DepEd. Enclosure No. 1 of this Memorandum provides the detail of the program implementation.
- For the 2022 BE, the school maintenance and repair activities, such as but not limited to physical cleaning, painting/repainting, and doing minor repairs, shall be allowed this SY during the school’s preparation period and may continue as deemed necessary. The conduct of BE activities shall adhere to the most recent safety and health protocols issued by DepEd, particularly those stated under Item No. VI and other relevant provisions of DO 034, s. 2022. All applicable provisions of DO 034, s. 2022 relative to BE activities shall apply.
- The BE activities shall focus on addressing the challenges and learning resource gaps of learners for face-to-face classes, which shall be fully implemented in all public schools nationwide by November 2, 2022. This will ensure that quality basic education will continue despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 endemic phase. Detailed implementation arrangement is provided in Enclosure No. 1 of this Memorandum.
- The schedule of activities for the 2022 BE shall be as follows:
- Teaching personnel are entitled to earn vacation service credits arising from their active involvement as members of the school BE working committees and/or voluntary services in the BE activities. Teachers shall earn one-day service credit for accumulated eight hours of services as a committee member and/or volunteer in the school preparation and partnership engagement activities, but not to exceed the total of ten days’ service credits. For further details on the granting of service credits to teachers, please refer to DO 53, s. 2003 titled Updated Guidelines on Grant of Vacation Service Credits to Teachers, particularly on Item No. 1-d sub-items d and k and Item. No. 1-f, which contains relevant provisions on the grant of service credits.
- The Brigada Pagbasa (BP) as a form of BE is an after-school reading program in response to Hamon: Bawat Bata Bumabasa or DepEd 3B Initiative issued under DM 173, s. 2019. All BE implementers are encouraged to conduct this partnership initiative for reading which serves as a platform to synergize education-related endeavors that immediately address literacy and numeracy learning gaps. This reading advocacy serves as an avenue for all stakeholders to contribute possible solutions to improve the country’s education system, especially in equipping the learners with 21st-century skills. With the successful nationwide implementation last SY, the BP shall continue with an aim to engage more education partners and experts to intensify this after-school reading program.
- In preparation for the implementation of BP, the Division Partnership Focal Person (DPFP), in collaboration with the Division Reading Coordinator, is encouraged to conduct an inventory of school reading programs and identify the gaps as an opportunity for partnership interventions. All applicable provisions under DM 173, s. 2019 relative to partnerships for reading programs shall apply. These reading programs with partnership components shall be part of the BP. The conduct of BP shall include advocacy activities to encourage volunteerism among learner participants and reading tutors and sponsors. The detailed guidelines for the implementation of BP shall be provided in a separate issuance.
- BE program shall conduct activities to support the existing and proven DepEd programs and projects with partnership components such as Gulayan sa Paaralan, WASH in Schools (WINS), and other projects under Oplan Kalusugan sa DepEd or OK sa DepEd issued under DO 028, s. 2019, titled Guidelines on the Grant of the Performance Based-Bonus to the Department of Education Employees and Officials for the Fiscal Year 2018, and other school priority programs and projects needing partnership interventions.
- The school heads (SH) shall ensure that all donated items classified as Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE) are properly recorded in the book of accounts based on the provisions under DO 82, s. 2011 titled Guidelines on the Proper Recording of All Donated Properties. Subject to applicable accounting and auditing rules and regulations in compliance to the Commission on Audit (COA) Circular 2022-004 relative to the increase of the capitalization threshold from PlS,000.00 to PS0,000.00.
- The Best Brigada Esklela Implementing Schools shall also be recognized at the school’s division, regional and national levels based on these implementing guidelines and selection criteria. The Best BE Implementers shall be given a certificate of recognition, which shall be given corresponding points for outstanding accomplishment for purposes of promotion and office/individual performance.
- For more information, please contact the External Partnerships Service, Ground Floor, Mabini Bldg. Department of Education Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City through email at email@example.com or at telephone numbers (02) 8638-8637 and (O2) 8638-8639.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
(Source: DepEd Memo 62 s 2022, click here)